Tuesday 12 September 2017

Writing as a Distraction


We talk lots about being distracted from writing, but what if the writing is the distraction? I found this last month when I was faced with what is one of my greatest fears – being stuck in a metal tube high up in the sky for four hours.

That’s right, I hate flying. Although I have got a lot better over the years (I can now talk, eat and even read a bit while I fly), it is generally a nerve-wracking experience. I cope by drinking a few gin and tonics but if it gets a bit bumpy it’s hold-the-arm-rests-and-grimace time. Which is where I found myself in mid-August on the way to Gran Canaria with my lovely family.

It was my husband that suggested writing a blog while we flew. Reading wasn’t holding my attention and he really wanted to be taking photos out of the window instead of attending to his irrational wife. Luckily I always bring notebooks and pens for my son, so I had some to hand. And it was magic. I wrote a blog (which wasn’t that good so I am rewriting it here) then about 500 words of our novel. I had no notes or plot lines to look at it so it was a bit of a free writing experience. 

While I was writing furiously, my mind was taken off the evil flying experience.  Until the crew came round asking if I needed another G&T (the answer was yes, obviously). It was a strange thing, where normally we are fighting to write when we have other distractions, that writing was actually the distraction I needed.

I found out when I got back and put it online that we had actually covered the scene before but I liked what I wrote so I gelled it together. I was able to fill out the scene with a bit more detail and bring it in with the other plot lines and character developments we have been working on through the podcast.

So there you go – Fear of flying? Travel with a notebook!

Taken just after we got off the plane - the relief!

Jen x


Find us on iTunes
Follow us on Twitter
Listen to us on Soundcloud
Buy us a drink at our Bar





No comments:

Post a Comment